** On 23 March 2020, as a result of the Coronavirus Outbreak, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps utilised Section 118 of the Railways Act 1993 to suspend all current franchise agreements with private Train Operating Companies and replace them with new Emergency Measures Agreements (EMAs), which will run for six months.
These EMAs apply to all franchises currently let by the Department for Transport, except for LNER and Northern, which are already in public ownership.
EMAs do not apply to:
• the ScotRail or the Caledonian Sleeper franchises let by the Scottish Government,
• the Transport for Wales Rail franchise let by the Welsh Government,
• the TfL Rail or London Overground contracts let by Transport for London, or
• the Merseyrail contract let by Merseytravel **
Read on for the original Franchise information…
The present c2c franchise began in November 2014 and is operated by Trenitalia, the national state-owned rail operator in Italy. The franchise encompasses train services running to and from London Fenchurch Street and is intended to last for fifteen years. Although the franchise had been awarded to National Express, it was sold to Trenitalia in February 2017 with the approval of the Department for Transport. As a result, National Express no longer operates any franchises. In 2003 the company had nine franchises, but in 2009 it lost favour with the Department for Transport when it infamously returned the InterCity East Coast franchise to the state after deciding it was not profitable enough! Trenitalia also operates the Avanti West Coast franchise in partnership with FirstGroup.
• Do you use the c2c service regularly?
• Do you believe it should be returned to public hands as part of a re-unified national rail network run for people not profit?
• Then, why not start a campaign building up to the franchise end?
Bring Back British Rail will support you by promoting your campaign’s details on this website and putting you in touch with other local activists via our Facebook, Twitter and Riseup communities. Please get in touch on the email address below!