** On 23 March 2020, as a result of the Coronavirus Outbreak, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps utilised Section 118 of the Railways Act 1993 to suspend all current franchise agreements with private Train Operating Companies and replace them with new Emergency Measures Agreements (EMAs), which will run for six months.
These EMAs apply to all franchises currently let by the Department for Transport, except for LNER and Northern, which are already in public ownership.
EMAs do not apply to:
• the ScotRail or the Caledonian Sleeper franchises let by the Scottish Government,
• the Transport for Wales Rail franchise let by the Welsh Government,
• the TfL Rail or London Overground contracts let by Transport for London, or
• the Merseyrail contract let by Merseytravel **
Read on for the original Franchise information…
Since April 2006, the Southeastern franchise has been operated by Govia, a joint venture between Go-Ahead Group, a British private-sector transport company, and Keolis, which is 70% owned by SNCF, the national state-owned rail operator in France. The franchise encompasses train services in south east London and Kent, including domestic high speed services on HS1. The franchise was originally intended to end in March 2014; however, owing to the Department for Transport’s refranchising debacle, Govia was directly awarded a series of extensions to its franchise, which is now due to conclude on 16 October 2021 (with a possible extension to 31 March 2022). Govia also operates the Thameslink / Southern / Great Northern franchise, and Keolis also operates the Transport for Wales Rail franchise in a joint venture with Amey.
• Do you use the Southeastern service regularly?
• Do you believe it should be returned to public hands as part of a re-unified national rail network run for people not profit?
• Then, why not start a campaign building up to the franchise end?
Bring Back British Rail will support you by promoting your campaign’s details on this website and putting you in touch with other local activists via our Facebook, Twitter and Riseup communities. Please get in touch on the email address below!
Existing Campaigns / Groups:
• Sort it, Southeastern (run by Conservative councillor!)